Thursday, January 6, 2011

I have come to believe

I have come to a great realization. In my last I talked about a strange day on witch I woke up and felt the urge to go to church. I have come to believe that that incident was not a coincidence but “divine intervention”. I truly do believe that God woke me up and sent me on a path to find him.
I have never had much faith or belief in God. I have always been a man that has had to have scientific explanation in order to believe something. I the past I have always said “I can’t see God and I can not touch him and there is no scientific proof that he exists, there for he is not real”.
I have pondered long and hard the events of Christmas morning. Wakening up at 4 am, having the idea to go to church, finding a church service 2 hours after I woke up and in the town were I live, and finally having the minister say that drunkarards will be forgiven.
Some would say that that all this happening the day after I came home from rehab is a coincidence. I think not. After deliberating over this series of events I have come to the conclusion that that there is no feasible scientific explanation for this occurrence. I am lead to believe that it was the act of some non worldly higher power. I believe it to be God.
Step 2 of alcoholics anonymous says “came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity”. In the very beginning of my recovery I struggled greatly with idea. I now feel that I am blessed to be able to say “I have come to believe that the power of god can restore me to sanity”.
Last Sunday at church I asked Jesus to come into my life and forgive me for my sins. I am now willing to try my best to lead my life towards the light of God and morality.
I have lived in sin for too long and looks were it has gotten me. I have wasted the better part of 20 year in drunkenness and depression. 10 years ago pastor Mike Floyd whom married Barbie and I heeded me a warning of a marriage without the presence of God. He spoke of a “three full cord”, existing of a man a women and god together like three ropes braided together for added strength.
At the time I smiled and nodded but honestly I could have given a shit less what he was babbling about. I was just pretending along so he would marry us. Looking back now at the last 10 years. I really wish I had listened and become saved by God at that time. How many problems could we have avoided?
I am not saying my marriage is awful because its not. I am glad that I am married and I love my wife till death. However I will be the first to say that Barbie and my union of marriage has had great periods of “unhealthiness”. I will also be the first to admit that most of these problems and points of unhealthiness were my fault or at least provoked by my evils and shortcomings.
I have a great hope and sense of new beginning since asking the lord into my life last Sunday. I am confident that my faith in god will continue to grow with each passing day.
I also believe that with the power and wisdom of the lord, Barbie and I will be able strengthen and purify our marriage. I am so looking forward to growing in the light of God, hand in hand with my beautiful wife.

1 comment:

  1. After reading the sentence that began "Last Sunday at church..." I screamed in joy and excitement (and woke up the baby). Welcome to faith welcome to Christianity. But fair warning God never promises that christian life will be easy all he says is that he will make life more abundant. First what is life; it is a serious of ups and downs a never ending roller coaster. But with God you can make it through every thing. Have you have heard the poem "footprints in the sand". I remember one conversation we had last time I was in Wisconsin the part that stands out the most is when you said "how was I still standing and smiling cause I probley would have shot myself in the head by now". At the time I didn't answer the question cause I was to emotionally drained to have a religious debate/discussion with you. go to this website read the poem and you will have the answer to that question
    http://www.footprints-inthe-sand.com/index.php?page=Poem/Poem.php

    call me sometime I won't bite

    ReplyDelete